View Single Post
Old 2008-07-20, 04:37   Link #135
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Do you recommend Lightroom over Photoshop? I've been hearing all sorts of good things about Lightroom and Aperture, and I've been thinking that maybe I should look into them. I think Aperture generally gets better reviews than Lightroom, but of course it's Mac-only. Even though I'm using a Mac now, I hate the idea of locking myself to software that's only on one system.
Yes and no. Lightroom and Aperture are processing tools and provide very limited manipulation tools but both of them have two huge advantages over Photoshop. First they save disk space because all changes are saved as a script and no actual changes are made to the original. This of course allows you to revert all the changes you made if necessary. Saving photos in both raw and some uncompressed format to gain the same ability eats quite a bit of space. Second the interpolation, antialising and noise reduction are made when the photo is exported, not when it's imported, which increases the quality a bit.

Still Photoshop is very much necessary if you want to do some actual manipulation to the photo. For my purposes Lightroom is usually enough.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-20 at 10:13.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote