View Single Post
Old 2014-06-30, 17:24   Link #1770
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginko08 View Post
This might have already been talked to Death here in this thread, but as I didn't check every single page I can't be sure of it, and because I saw some guys mentioning that Yasu being the culprit is imossible (at least in later games, because she isn't capable of doing so or something), I'd just like to write my take on why her motivations are strong enough to actually go through with all of this.
Love is always a bit of a cop-out when choosing a motivation, it is certainly not the most original. However, it is certainly a valid one, and essentially the main reason why Yasu did all she did. Battler appearing after these six years caused Yasu to question her relationship to George and Jessica once again, and she sort of went crazy over it. Every single one of her personalities had a love life that wanted to be fulfilled, Yasu however couldn't decide on which one to have her/his dream fulfilled. The 6th game, as we all know, represented that inner conflict. Howeve, regardless of the outcome, even the winner would never have his dreams fulfilled, for the sole reason that Yasu cannot love, or to be exact simply because Yasu's body is left mutilated after the cliff incident. Said internal struggle, plus the hate (perhaps not hate, but still negative feelings) she felt towards the rest of the family, made her come up with said murder plan. Her Beatrice persona already shows that she isn't the most sane person around, so those feelings might have already been enough to make her kill everyone. If someone manages to solve the Epitaph, she would stop the murders, This I might justify with her knowing that if someone solved the epitaph, she herself wouldn't have any need to commit murders herself aynmore, as the ones who solved it would commit murder out of greed. Meaning, no matter if it is solved or not, the murders would always take place. Also, with said epitaph, and with the planned murder mystery, she wanted Battler to remember his sin, she wanted him to remember his realtionship with her. Even if her love couldn't be fulfilled, she wanted him to remember due to her lingering affection for him.
These would just be my short ramblings about it, correct me as much as you want if you fid something wrong with what I wrote.
Btw, regarding the characters, as I've seen them being bashed a lot here; At least from the books I've read so far and shows I've seen so far these were some among the most intelligent ones. Ofc, they were less perceptive than the readers, but I don't think there is any mystery where every character is on the reader's level. The Umineko characters at least showed basic common sense, everyone of them (ofc, they are all insane so they might do some crazy stuff, but they are in no way retarded), and there were also quite intelligent ones among them. At least, that's what I can say when I compare them to characters from other franchises.
Well, the trick is that it's actually impossible to prove if the real Sayo would have killed someone as the real Sayo never got the chance to try and shoot a person as her game ended before she could start the first twilight.

On the various games instead she's surely the killer but the games are merely narrative fiction. If I self insert myself in a tale I can even pilot jets better than a top gun pilot after 1 lesson.

The manga goes into details about her mind state during those fateful days and it explains that while at first she thought the idea to kill everyone was the perfect solution as she wrote her plans she started to lose her resolution, started to cry at the idea of killing everyone and truly wanted merely to be stopped. Ep 7 Teaparty described her as a resigned, empty shell.

She didn't think people would murder out of greed if they were to solve the epitaph, she was actually hoping Battler would solve it and that she could use this to devote her life to him.

So, back to your original point... maybe she could have killed had she tried to do it as soon as she got the idea and not when the momentum had passed but the more time progresses the harder it is for her to get determinate enough.
It's still possible though but I wouldn't bet on her and anyway we'll never know if she would have managed to do it as she was stripped of the chance to do it.

I think the Umineko characters were mostly well done as characters even if I understand how people might not like some of them and how many put high expectations in Battler, hoping he'll be another 'detective Conan' when he's actually only a boy seeing his relatives being murdered.

Also I understand how some might have been disturbed by the actions of some characters. What Kinzo does to Beatrice, for example, or what Erika wants to do to Battler in Ep 6 or how Rosa beat Maria are pretty disturbing things.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote