View Single Post
Old 2004-08-31, 23:53   Link #161
TerryMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
Unless I missed something, that's exactly what makes it the grey area...that the Japanese companies do not worry about groups outsourcing the anime to other countries. They recieve their 'profits' from advertisement and cable subscriptions, not by consumers purchasing the TV series while it's airing.

You may really wish to relook at the world of Fansubbing...believe me, I've been in it for a long time. Japanese companies aren't apathetic, they are actually embracing more and more the world that fansubbing has created. However, to each good side, there is a bad side, and there's been several reports that many companies aren't happy with fansubbing, but compared to the ones that are thrilled that their works are getting more diverse attention without the extra spending, it's a very small voice.

This is why it's all considered a grey area...many companies enjoy the free advertisement and increased chance of another distributor wishing to pay liscensing fees.
I was referring to the legal side of the matter, not the business side. Legally, there is no gray area, it is copyright infringement plain and simple. The fact that the Japanese companies do not press charges on traders means they are apathetic to the crimes being comitted against them.

(Warning - bad analogy ahead) Look at it like this. A guy steals your car and then totals it. Your baka insurance company gives you three times market value for the car. You were thinking of selling it anyway. You're apathetic to the crime comitted against you, because it's putting more money in your pocket, but it is still a crime.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote