Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-22, 06:17   Link #72
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS

Very true. OTOH, I think that inflation is near zero also, no? Helps somewhat, I suppose.
I think Japan's economy is actually in deflation..... Although you must find your local 100 Yen Shop!!! It will save your wallet......

Quote:
That's what vacation days are for. To go play wide-eyed tourist at every major tourist trap in the region. Isn't Saturday also an "official" work day in the country? I know that a holiday like Christmas is just another day, but they, for 2004, get Jan. 1st, 2nd, and, I think, 5th off..
As for public holidays I think theres also "Golden week" which is where there a large number of public holidays in close sucession (End of April/Beginning of May) - a lot of Japanese tend to take annual leave around this time and I was advised that unless I had masochistic tendencies to avoid travelling/touristy activity due to the large number of people in transit during this period although I heard from others (who had obviously become hardened to the crowded conditions in Tokyo that they did notice all that much difference......)

Quote:
No worries. I don't want to deal with the hassles of Immigration anyway, so I'm not going to work without getting a work visa sponsored first. Don't need the rep of being a hardened criminal.
Dress smart/casual for Immigration; Dreadlocks and a Hash Leaf T-shirt might win you a free body cavity search......

Quote:
I'm in the process of applying for a job in my company's Tokyo office, which is why I'm asking all these questions. Our HR dept should cover all of this, but since I didn't go through that dept... Oops. Unfortunately, there's also time pressure on their side, it seems, so everything feels really rushed. Blegh!
Hey cool, I think most of the "High Flying" executives that I met had been set up with very nice apartments in the Akasaka (or was it Asakusa area, I always get those mixed up). Most of these pads would be out of the majority of peoples price brackets but were rented out to employee's of Multinational Corporations at a very reasonable rate as part of a relocation package. (Sweet) Think your company could stretch to this???

Quote:
That is actually quite a sweet deal. There had been a thread of this in the old forums, but it may not have gotten rescued by the Big Reset of November 2003. I wonder if it can be resurrected?
Yeah its a very good scheme .

Quote:
That's what I'm hearing too. That along with the use of key money and such that, as you had mentioned, can really eat into your savings. So long as you're willing to commute into the city - not to mention which city you're near/in - the rent should be more reasonable than a place like New York or London, no?
As anywhere, rates do get more reasonable the further from the centre of the city you go. Most Gaijin houses tend to be about 35 - 50 mins train journey from the centre of Tokyo (with most on the western side). Although they do vary in design and suitability it would be better for you if your company can sort out your own accomodation for you. (most of them either seem to have dubious management or are not in the best condition, 100 yen per hour heaters / Air conditioners will also start to get on your nerves too........ie During winter its not great to have the heater shut off whilst you are asleep because you forgot to put enough coins in....)

Btw Rooms are usually measured by the number of traditonal tatami mats that the floor space can accomodate.

Also prepare yourself for a financial mugging in advance.......

Quote:
Do you know anything about (I think they're called) gaijin houses? I did some digging around, and they sounded okay. Not the same as having your own apt, but they basically sound like dorms that aren't owned by a company or the government. Cost-wise, they look reasonable, but you do give up a certain amount of privacy.
Yeah, as I've mentioned above there are some advantages and disadvantages to the whole gaijin house thing. You get to meet Japanese and foreigners, its cheap, but often the management is suspect and they are only after your cash. I stayed in one place where they disliked one of their long time tenants, as he had a contract of tenancy they couldn't just kick him out so instead started up a rumour mill that he was a rapist (even though the supposed "victim" completely denied anything had occured and was herself offended) this all just to try to get him to leave.....In the end both the guy and his "victim" went to the lawyers....... The owners had also apparently "bought" all the staff who worked there (all female), by paying their debts off for them. In exchange they had to work like slaves for him both at the gaijin house and his business seven days a week.
Other places I stayed in were better, if a little rundown. If you want the name of this one (so you can avoid it) let me know .....(Actually its a chain of about 4 owned by the same guy Lets just say they are "Big".....that should be enough of a clue)

Quote:
In any case, tsurumaru, thanks a lot for providing such great information. Much appreciated!
Just glad you found it useful...I've also updated Kyoto's information as I forgot the Osamu Tezuka museum is just next to the main train station!
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote