View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 15:40   Link #24
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelion View Post
So this whole 1000 years bit...1000 Year Blood-War arc and Yamamoto couldn't kill Buckbeard a 1000 years ago. Earlier in the manga we had 1000 years mentioned in that no shinigami born in the past 1000 years is stronger than the Head Captain, and that the Shinigami Academy was founded about a 1000 years ago. I'm not sure if those last two pieces of information will tie-in at all, but I figured I'd bring them up again. Maybe Buckbeard was this "stronger" Shinigami, though a Shinigami/Quincy hybrid sounds loopy to me. Then again, we've had the Arcannar, so it's possible. This hunting captain seems to have a sword of his own.
Interesting. I suppose in theory, there's nothing to technically prove it to be impossible for a shinigami to learn quincy techniques. So a shinigami/quincy hybrid seems plausible I guess. The only thing I feel worth mentioning is that, we've no way yet to know as to whether Yamamoto chose not to kill Buckbeard a millennium ago or he was too weak to finish him off.

*edit*
This is a long shot, but perhaps he's a shinigami, but also the very first Quincy--that is to say, a rogue shinigami who's ideas and philosophies pushed him into developing techniques for humans to wield spiritual energy, which then led to him passing those techniques on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Now, how would Mayuri know about what had happened a millenium ago when the Gotei 13 didn't even exist? I was under the impression that he's a random mad scientist that was picked up and imprisoned...
Soul Society does keep various historical records & archives. So that is one possibility. And we also don't know what important events throughout SS's long history have been passed down through word of mouth from generation to generation. So for all we know, this incident from 1000 years ago regarding Buckbeard might be one of those popular tales known all throughout Soul Society. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that too. I'm just throwing out possibilities here since I can't recall anything about this guy so far that confirms his history to have been kept a top-secret affair. As of right now, there's a strong possibility that the only reason we haven't heard of him till now is simply because the plot has given no character any good reason to bring him up.