Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-13, 01:49   Link #24551
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
@monir

Yea, been keeping an eye on this, it appears the house in question had a faulty furnace, which is why the occupants moved to a hotel, and apparently someone recalls smelling gas in the area.

Without knowing the timeline or the nature of the furnace's malfunction, it's hard to speculate, but one possible scenario would be that the furnace broke down (with the igniter stil working) before/during the middle of the week when it was warm, the occupants moved out, not knowing there was a leak, and the gas continued to leak for days until the temperature dropped again, until it got low enough in the house where the thermostat tried to start the furnace - and up goes the neighborhood.
Scary stuff. Pretty much one of the reason when I bought my house, I was looking for all-electric with a wood-burn fireplace option. A friend of mine also pointed out from one of the picture that if it was anything like TNT explosion, then that car which was still sitting in the driveway of the second house would have been gone too. With gas explosion, he said, the most energy expansion is always upward which is why the car was probably spared.