Thread: Da Capo
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-02, 04:14   Link #302
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
That's it, I simply cannot keep quiet anymore. I must voice my view on the relationship between Junnichi and Nemu.

Look...just because Nemu isn't Junnichi's sister by blood, she's still his sister in every other sense. A better way to explain this would be for example, let's say I grew up with a non blood-related girl who lives with me in my life. And as I grew up, I see her, treated her, considered her, etc...did everything to/with her as my sister. She does the same for me. Since we treat each other as brother and sister, other people see us as brother and sister too. So is she my sister? Damn straight. Just because we're not blood related doesn't mean we're not brothers and sisters. Just like what Suginami said "She may not be your sister, but she is still your sister".

So OK, somehow me and my sister begin to see each other romantically, decides to change our relationship from siblings to lovers. But does that mean other people will change their views on us? From Siblings to Lovers? Of course not, because they saw us grew up as siblings and other people just cannot deny that fact. They'll be shocked. Now if me and that non-blood related girl grew up as JUST FRIENDS, and one day me and her take the next step and become lovers. I'm sure other people won't mind because we grew up as JUST FRIENDS.

You see it's the EXPERIENCE that counts, not the blood. The blood only affects things biologically.

Let's look at another scenario. Let's say one day I meet a strange girl on the streets and she says she's my sister, because she claims we're related by blood. Does that mean she's my sister? No. She's just some weird girl I met on the streets. Even if she does have proof, she is still stranger to me. In that case, we may be related by blood, but we're not related by anthing else. And guess what? I'd date her if she's my type. I don't care about the blood, I care about the relationship.

You may not agree, but that's what way I see it. Sigh, finally got that off my chest.
Well, you have hit on the entire point of Da Capo! But, let me play the devil's advocate here for a moment...

As is well established, there is no biological reason why Nemu and Junichi shouldn't be together. Junichi made a choice several years ago (when he found Nemu at the tree after she ran away) to ignore his feelings towards Nemu, in order so that he could act as a big brother. In his mind and heart, though, his feelings for Nemu never disappeared, and it was quite clear that those feelings were being reciprocated. In other words, they were lying to each other by pretending they were siblings, and by admitting their true feelings to one another they were only accepting what they have always felt for one another. They were never siblings to begin with by blood nor in their hearts. Because of this, they were able to get over most of the weirdness that they felt about it. So, all that is left is how other people feel about their relationship. That is what Suginami was hinting at when he said "What are you going to do now? Run away together?".

What you're basically arguing is that the relationship is wrong because other people (and you) believe or feel that it's wrong. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but consider what this type of reasoning opens itself up to... Many people consider homosexual relationships wrong... is it therefore wrong? Many people consider relationships between two people with large age gaps wrong... is it therefore wrong? (Those are rhetorical questions - I don't want to get into those debates here!) If there is nothing illegal about a relationship, then declaring it wrong is a judgement call on your behalf (based on your feelings and/or beliefs). If you are projecting your beliefs and opinions onto others, that is something most people would consider offensive, unfair, and even wrong.

That being said, it is perfectly understandable that you would find Nemu and Junichi's relationship weird - that is the whole point. Anything that is unusual and goes against the norm can be considered weird. But, making the leap from finding something weird and unusual to declaring it *wrong* is where, I would argue, the real issue lies. This very dilemma is at the heart of what makes Da Capo so interesting, and I'm sure will play a large role in the final two episodes.

If I were to turn the tables a bit, I would probably feel at least somewhat justified in making a judgement call about the final scenario in your post. Incest is illegal in most parts of the world; that is not a choice I am making, it is one that society has made for me. If you willfully participate in a relationship that *may* in fact be incest, all the while feigning innocence, and she does, in fact, turn out to be your biological sister, than you are deserving of society's judgement because what you did was illegal. It does not matter how anyone else feels about the matter. Something is not wrong simply because the majority would think it to be wrong, and something that is illegal is not made right simply because most people wouldn't have a problem with it (or don't know). That is not a personal opinion as much as it is a societal one. (One could argue here that since we live in a democracy, it is the voice of the majority that matters... but that is a whole other discussion.)

Anyways, just in case I have been too harsh, please don't be offended! I'm only trying to play Devil's Advocate, and to offer the contrarian point of view! And also, as it relates to Da Capo, I've only watched the anime up to episode 24... those who have played the game will certainly be able to offer far greater insight!