View Single Post
Old 2012-05-15, 02:29   Link #1022
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Since increasing productions?
Yes. Prior to 2009, SHAFT was making a bit less than they did from 2009 to 2011, IIRC.

Quote:
They're actually concentrating on three projects: Madoka, Monogatari, and Hidamari Sketch. So two unparalled properties and one that managed 8K+ in it's second and third seasons.
Well, I didn't say that Madoka and Monogatari were all they cared about, just that they were clearly top priority for SHAFT. Right after them would be Hidamari Sketch, yes.

Quote:
That leaves Denpa Onna as the "limbo" property ATM with 6.6K season one sales, which would be less annoying if not for the Bluray only 13th episode leaving a huge unanswered questions and essentially WTF bombing the first twelve.
I certainly hope that Denpa Onna gets continued eventually. But it's only been a year since the first season ended. It's a bit early to say it's in "limbo", imo. If come May of next year there's still no word on more Denpa Onna, then I'd say it's in limbo.

Quote:
My suspicion is that both Air was also a watershed moment but a lot of the legacy it would have had got buried by Haruhi's success.
Well, the Key Trio as a whole is also a big part of the KyoAni legacy as well, imo.

This is why Little Busters! going to JC Staff has made me a bit more antsy about Haruhi, I'll be honest there. Perhaps this is too dramatic of me to say, but it seems like KyoAni might be losing sight of its own legacy and much of what contributed to its current brand strength.

If you look at most of the prominent animation studios, many anime fans mentally associate them with particular popular properties that they've done a lot of work on.

Sunrise and Gundam.

Gainax and Eva.

JC Staff and Shana/Raildex/ZnT.

And I think Shinbo has learned from this model and is giving us...

Shaft and Madoka/Monogatari

You often speak of animation studios and their "brand" values or brand strength, and I think that's a good point to raise.

And this is where I think KyoAni might be hurting itself IF it continually puts new properties ahead of old, established properties with passionate fanbases.

KyoAni isn't famous simply for being KyoAni, it's famous in large part because of certain properties, just like those other studios are famous in large part because of certain properties. It certainly doesn't mean that's all those studios do, but it does mean they recognize the value of having certain properties that are front and center for their "brand".

KyoAni and Haruhi/K-On/Key blended for an awesome "brand" value, imo. A third of that (Key) has probably been lost. It would be a shame to lose two thirds or more of that.