View Single Post
Old 2014-01-02, 17:54   Link #76
JTeague

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndqanh_vn View Post
Yes, I get that it is meant to be character development, but it is not good executed in my opinion.

I don't have any problem with him having friendship and such and whiteknight syndrome with all girl in his harem, but during Onimonogatari or Nisemonogatari, sometimes I seriously have to wonder is the whole perverted acts really contributes anything to the characters rather than meaningless fanservice? I would rather like Araragi has normal friendship without loli-undertones toward Okonogi or Mayoi. And it is actually very hard for me to read every-single-scences he acted perverted toward his sisters. Why can't they have a normal sibling relationship, oh why?

You may say that Monogatari use the harem element for character development and all, but for me, it actually ruined my view of Araragi. In the same way, it also leaves a bad taste whenever I think about his-supposed-main-canon-relationship. After Nise finished airing , I have had lost all of my respect for him. And I used to respect him in Bake, with his character development throughout the series and the fact that his loli or pervert tendency has not become over the top.

But I guess to each his own and many people enjoy those harem elements or those perverted moments, so maybe it is some of the series's charms as well. Only I could never enjoy or appreciate those charms.

I watch Monogatari because I enjoy the subtle supernatural elements in its story, I found some of the characters charming and I like those interesting visual from Shaft. Maybe it's just I am not in the target audience of those skirt-chasing scene.
That in itself is kind of sad, because it's become an acknowledged fact that Nisio writes those scenes cause he's a pervert himself. It's like Araragi's character and image suffers so Nisio can get his kicks.

I always thought it was kind of funny, but the way you put it made me realize it's also kind of sad. The saving grace is that it's more than once implied that Hitagi is fully aware of Araragi's skirt chasing and punishes him for it every time.
JTeague is offline   Reply With Quote