View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 02:37   Link #47
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It looks unlikely that we're going to get a new generation of consoles in the normal life span.
  • Nintendo's Wii sells like mad, has even more potential now for innovative games with the MotionPlus and is affordable to develop for.
  • Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 have loads of power, and cost a small fortune to developer for.
A newer console would lose the Wii's most important advantage (which is also the DS' advantage), and would cause the newer HD consoles to only have developers that are bilionnaires.

And, of course, there's the recession.
Yes, it's reasonble to think some consoles are going to last longer this generation. Both Nintendo and Microsoft didn't do so well in the previous generation, so it was only natural they released a follow-up system after only 5 years. As they're doing better this generation they'll obviously won't replace them as soon. Furthermore Sony has said they plan a 10 year lifespan for the PS3 (which doesn't mean the PS4 may or may not arrive at some point of that lifespan).

Basing the need for a follow-up system on current sales figures is a bit early - for Wii/PS3 we're only at the mid-way point of the lifespan I predicted.

I also think that the follow-up to the Wii may not necessarily be a major revolution. It could be the same thing with DS vs DSi, ie: the "Wii HD" would output HD (obviously) and be a bit more powerful, but in all likelihood will be fully backwards compatible with older games.

Still, I still think its' likely the first of the next generation consoles will arrive by 2012/2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Guess i could ask my question here.

Before this game, which DQ would you guys recommend to play on the DS?
I've only got IV myself, which is okay, but everywhere I read everyone seems to say V is best on DS.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-07-24 at 02:47.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote