View Single Post
Old 2004-12-10, 19:25   Link #220
Yujinbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I agree with zepher about the environmentalist stuff in Arjuna and Macross Zero. I am actually pro-environmentalism in reality, but Arjuna made me hate the environmentalism messages in it. And environmentalism in a Macross series is the worst possible thing ever. what's the point of protecting the nature when
Spoiler:
environmentalism in a Macross universe doesn't make any sense IMO...
As Radd said on the previous page, we have to think about Macross Zero in context just as I'm sure the production team did while they were making the series. If you think about what happens to the earth a short while later, then it takes on a whole different meaning. It's not that Kawamori decided to tell his 'stupid Greenpeace story' and slap the 'Macross' name onto it in a shameless attempt to trick people into listening to his ebil propaganda. Any feeling of peace has to be balanced out by what we know of destruction, just as what we know of destruction has to be balanced out by what we know of peace. Humanity is "saved" in Macross Zero. And then much of it is destroyed in SDF Macross. No difference anyone makes will ever be permanent. That's what makes multi-installment series like Macross so interesting: the possibility for a dialogue between the different installments and constantly building upon the original idea. Environmentalism in the real world doesn't 'make any sense' either. The world might be scorched by March 2005 for all we know. Needlessly destroying nature to benefit ourselves doesn't 'make any sense' either: We might be history by March 2005. Why bother to feed yourself when you'll only die eventually anyway? Why not massacre a whole race of people? After all, nobody will care or remember that they ever existed 100 years from now. While I understand the logic behind saying that something is stupid because it is futile, it's also possible to say that anything is futile. So why not err on the side of preservation instead of destruction?

Although perhaps an ending reference to the SDF Macross series would have been in order if that continuity was actually the point.
Yujinbito is offline   Reply With Quote