View Single Post
Old 2011-02-12, 17:01   Link #248
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's NOT gun control! I said nepotism and rampant favoritism. Even Hayate lampshades the bias in favor of mages when it comes to promotions.
So what? North Korea has nepotism and favoritism. Is it ripe for revolution? Well, the people don't seem to be in any hurry.

While it may not be good, per se, it is not the leading cause of revolutions; hunger is. Even the Egyptian people, under a dictator for 30 years, didn't revolt because Hosni planned to have his son take over. They revolted because of food prices and unemployment. Sure, people may hate their government, but they won't take steps to end it unless things are really bad.

Really, Sheba, you're overstating the problem here.

And really, your claims of nepotism are overstated, too. The TSAB allows family to work together, because that makes for happier people. But the brain council are more dictators than anything else, and have no heirs to pass leadership onto. They just wanted to rule forever, and the 3 honorary old mages were figureheads without any heirs they planned to pass things onto. People still earned their positions in the TSAB based upon ability.

Sure, I suppose you could call the TSAB a powderkeg and ripe for revolution... but you could say the same about the US. Or Switzerland. Or the UK. No matter where you go, things could look "ripe for revolution" because some people are unhappy with things. But any student of history knows that it ain't gonna happen unless enough people are out of work and/or hungry.

Hayate had no familial connections in the TSAB, either. She earned her position, having had to fight up to it despite the stigma of the Book of Darkness lingering over her. She had friends, though. But that's the same no matter where you go; a lot of your success is based on who you know.

So really, the TSAB is even more like real life. ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
And again, isn't it the deadly artifact that perceives everything as a threat that's making Touma attack things?
I'd say it is at least part of it. It's a book, quite similar to Karen's, another EC-infected person. She seems to have good control, though. At any rate, Fortis did talk about sanity, and I think it is fairly clear Touma is losing his.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote