View Single Post
Old 2013-06-27, 17:31   Link #34
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
I mean this show did not need that scene at all to make the story good. . .I was already intrigued as it was. Usually scenes like that are aimed toward a certain demographic. . .It was like the show was TRYING to insult me... I was mad on so many levels. . .This is not Lolita or TellTale/Heart of darkness or some grand novel that has disturbing scenes for a reason that's actually a main part of the story. It was just needless pandering to a certain demographic.
Writing the scene off as pandering to a certain demographic (meaning: lolicons) ignores that it's entirely possible to enjoy the scene in a tongue in cheek fashion. Granted, it's a bit of graphic and it's not as blatantly tongue in cheek as the Araragi/Shinobu bath scene in Nisemonogatari, but I've never been able to detach myself enough from the scene's context to read it as an ordinary lolicon fanservice scene.

(It's interesting to me that of Shinbo's loli vampire shows, the only one where the vampire is actually underaged (Moon Phase) is considerably tamer, to the point where Funimation was able to target it to girls in their marketting materials and I know at least one local cosplayer who saw it when she was at most 13 since she cosplayed the main character at that age. Given that she's grown up now, I'm occassionally tempted to ask her if she was ever aware of some of the subtext in the show.)

Quote:
I'd say most Americans aren't too bothered by nudity, but that scene was faaaaaaaaaar beyond nudity, I was just shocked and a bit pissed, especially with the people on MAL having the whole attitude of "If you don't like it, its 'cause your an immature 'murican."
It's just the old tactic of making the issue you're opponent the issue and not you, in this case invoking a widespread stereotype in the process.

(And yes, "Americans freak out about nudity" is a widespread stereotype. At the very least, this thread establishes for me that it's known in both Canada and Europe.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote