View Single Post
Old 2011-07-04, 16:49   Link #93
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessing-love View Post
I don't understand people slobbering over how "nice" Ko is. Minchi isn't "nice", Tohru isn't "nice", Sui isn't "nice", yet all three of them have done a lot more to prove that they love and care for Ohana
... When? Seriously, when have they ever shown that they love and care for Ohana?

Oh, sure, there have been a few nice gestures here and there, like when she was sick. Or, I suppose, when they went to fetch her in Tokyo. But none of those were particularly impressive or showed overwhelming concern for her.

Quote:
and are generally way more interesting, rounded out characters. Didn't the first episode make that point? The grandma that gives out candy gives instant gratification and is easy, but Sui as a grandma may have been harsh, but she gave Ohana far more deep and valuable things.
I suppose. But it's because she's treated Ohana like an employee. Sure, learning about the workplace, finding a career path, and getting paid are all precious things. Way more precious than the casual kindness of a stranger. But that doesn't make Sui a saint, and it doesn't make her the best grandmother ever. It just makes her Ohana's first boss.