View Single Post
Old 2009-04-16, 18:49   Link #97
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I didn't realize we were being specific to CR 720p in that post and was talking about streaming files in general. I haven't been paying that close to the CR rip file size and the Gonzo DTO encodes were always oversized one pass XviD. I was more basing it on things like Youtube and Nicovideo where the official files average ~60-90mb in fmt=18/h.264. Then you have things like Kadokawa's Haruhi upload on Youtube which clocks in ~110mb and FUNi's FMA:B encode is 193mb On2 VP6 (WTFH) so it is highly dependent on the encoder.
Well okay - if you seriously want to compare stamp-sized moving blocks (Youtube) and fansubs, then 2-4x might work out. But those are two entirely different kinds of creatures. Crunchyroll is thankfully way better than that already.

Quote:
Looking at the CR stuff, it has gone from 120mb->150mb for SD and the average SD fansub is 175-200mb now.
Well, CR's 480p is pretty consistently 150 meg now, while fansubs are around 175. But okay, let's be super-gracious in your favor and say that CR's products are around 30% smaller than their fansub equivalents. A far cry from the factor 2-4 we talked about before. And not enough to really justify the video differences with. No, the reasons for the underperforming lie elsewhere.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote