Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 06:51   Link #22489
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I am just a firm believer of penalizing the action of the person ultimately responsible for it.

If copying data without having the copyright is illegal, then go after the person doing it if he does that. Don't go after programmers/suppliers or anyone else, who is in no way responsible for another person's actions.

If driving without a license is illegal, then go after illegal drivers. Don't go after car dealers, or auto mechanics.

If slashing someone with a knife if illegal, then go after the person doing it, not after knife manufacturers, or hardware stores.

Any other approach just places huge obstacles into the path of lawful people and dilutes the real criminal act. In this case not only unlawful copying is hindered, but also lawful copying too. And that, I dare say, is fully intentional and one of the main reasons why the law is designed to be so backwards in the first place.

As someone who writes software myself (amongst other things) I can easily come up with a whole number of scenarios where this law (which I'm glad does not exist in my country as far as I know of) would make me a criminal for working in my profession, even though no copyright whatsoever would be breached by anyone.