View Single Post
Old 2006-12-03, 17:00   Link #33
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Lima, Peru (and Cuzco. One obvious reason: Macchu Picchu)
I was in Lima last July on a mission trip. Now, I love the place because of the people there, being a missionary, and all, but if it weren't for them... I'd have to wonder why a person would want to go. There must be something that attracts all those Japanese folk to Lima!

Cuzco, of course, needs no justification! It's a beautiful place, and I'm headed to Lima/Arequipa/Cuzco in January. I'll probably be making pretty regular trips out there for a good while.

Wherever you go in Peru, you can get by cheap. If you eat where most of the population does and you spend about what you would for a meal where you are, you're eating VERY well!

There is one thing I recommend spending extra on, and that is a hotel. We spent nearly what a hotel would cost in the US to stay in a rat's nest hotel with no hot water in some rooms, frequent unavailability of toilet paper (pack some extra), and drive-by shootings. While little else there costs much, to get a good hotel room in a good part of Lima will probably cost a good bit. It's probably not anything you would hesitate to pay for, though.

Do not--DO NOT--plan to drive! Traffic in Peru is crazy in general, with unexpected road hazards, nonsensical road layouts, and people, shops, and animals scattered across half the roads. And the traffic in Lima is beyond insane. Here is a video that will give you just an inkling. The video was from the Cebu in the Phillippines, but the people, sights, and traffic are all things you'll see in Lima, though--on the BEST of days. It's normally far worse. And if you don't know exactly where you're going, it's easy to get into a bad part of town, since Lima's a compact town and the bad parts are found right beside the good parts.

If you want some advice on what to put on an itenerary, or some personal recommendations for interpreters, let me know what kind of things you like and I'll try to get some information for you. I know people in Peru I can ask advice of or recommend personally for help.

Also, seeing your other desired visits, might I recommend Havana, Cuba? I've been there, and it's an amazing place, full of history. I can give some advice on if you or any one else here ever decides to vacation there.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote