View Single Post
Old 2015-12-21, 07:13   Link #53
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Since when is adding more details to a character's backstory a bad thing? It sounds like just complaining because Frolaytia has a more complicated backstory than expected rather than her being incredibly simplified. Honestly that just seems silly. How is it not convincing that this plays a factor into why her situation is so difficult? If it had nothing to do with her situation then you could argue it's unnecessary, but it's entirely relevant to her situation.
I don't think adding in more details is a bad thing when done well but do I think Fro's backstory is more complicated than necessary. Havia's backstory is an example of adding in details that is done well.

On the surface his arranged marriage is similar to Fro's situation since both parties aren't keen on the arrangement. Havia stays in the military to become accomplished enough to take over as head of the family, and with that to possibly bring the feuding between the two families to end someday. Frolaytia stays in the military by her own choice because her other option is to become a tool because of her heritage. In comparison her backstory leaves her static and goalless because 'it must be so'.

I might have been fine with the current setup if it had left room for Fro to develop in a meaningful fashion, say for example by letting her exert control over the nobility once she becomes high up enough in the military that they can't push her around anymore but there's none of that so far. Maybe that will change once this arc concludes so who knows?

Quote:
Would Frolaytia's situation have been nearly so difficult if Objects were never created and thus this aristocratic powerhouse never was formed? Very possible that it wouldn't.
Which is why I said it would be impressive, given how much of a stretch it would be to be believable since probably no product of warfare in history managed to change societal conventions. Aristocracy is from an earlier age and closer to the feudal age of power distribution after all.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."