Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-08-24, 03:24   Link #8732
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is always easier said than done. No matter how much training a civil servant has, when it comes to putting his/her life on the line at an immediate moment, people will freeze up.

There is an ad verbatim recount of an ex-executioner here who trained a junior officer as his understudy. The latter freaked out and quitted his job in the civil service because he couldn't bring himself to pull the lever and drop the death-row inmate. I don't blame him because he's still human.

Similarly, I have seen people who freeze up during my boot camp's live grenade throw - and it isn't like a war film where the grenade just go poof, the explosion literally shakes the ground from where you have thrown that bomb.

I believe it is a mental block factor which freezes people in place as the brain couldn't discern the next action - fear isn't as easily overcome as it is shown in popular media.
Again I refer you to the 9/11 firefighters. So how did they do it? They are not human?

Your two examples just prove my point: they are in training exercise. So whoever think they cannot overcome fear should quit so they don't freeze in real life situation.
Of course people freeze up during live grenade throw. I am sure that I will freeze up on the first training as well. However, after many trainings I am sure everyone who stayed in the force can get use to it.