View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 17:48   Link #25501
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ultimately, the policemen need to be paid enough to keep the thought of money out of their head - that should be a good start to stifle corruption, the biggest, if not greatest threat to a functioning police force.
This is a thorny issue in a lot of places in America, even. In San Francisco, the police are paid very well. Even basic uniformed officers make a respectable salary, enough to live comfortably on even in San Francisco, an expensive place to live.

I hear anti-government, anti-police types complain endlessly that they get paid too much, that they get too many privileges, that they get away with too much. It hurts my brain when pure illogic pours out of another human's speech-orifice.

I used to live in the South, where cops aren't paid shit. They make barely over minimum wage--and guess what? A lot of them are on the take, or are otherwise corrupt. I remember an incident where a coworker of mine got stopped for a routine traffic violation and the police found his gigantic bag of weed. The officer took the weed and didn't arrest him (which, in Alabama, for that much weed, he'd be tossed in the back of the car so fast he'd get whiplash), or even give him a ticket, told him he'll be let go with a warning. Both of us knew damn well that cop took the weed to either smoke or sell.