Thread: Licensed Space Dandy (seasons 1-2)
View Single Post
Old 2014-01-05, 10:53   Link #218
kuromitsu

Oookay, so I just watched the first episode, and I'm sorry to say that it's still not my cup of tea, in fact I'm inclined to think that this kind of, er, sucked, given the show's pedigree)

There's clearly a whole lot of attention paid to the visuals, and they do look great; but frankly, for a comedy the timing is completely off most of the time. The gags are either just not funny, or you can see them coming form miles, or the punchlines fall flat; and in the very rare case when they don't and the joke is actually funny, there's still something off - a lack of energy? effort? that makes it lackluster and simply not funny to me.
Spoiler for second half of the episode:

(Even the voice acting falters a bit every now and then, the voices not following the tempo and energy of the visuals, and I wonder why that is. My guess is that the voices were recorded to incomplete animation and then the animators just went on with their job and didn't bother to match the animation to the voices.)

So yeah. But Suwabe Junichi is still great, so I'll be back for episode 2, if only for him.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-01-05 at 11:26. Reason: one of these days I'll write a post that doesn't require extensive editing afterwards...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote