View Single Post
Old 2012-08-29, 10:16   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hell, when I was a kid I used to see myself as more of a Republican. Sometime between the end of Elementary School (1997) and the beginning of High School (2000) they made this weird shift in policies and went to hell. I think they hated Clinton so much they may have made a pact with
The New York Times had a brilliantly written intro to an article about the platform updates. They talk about "one party" stating to be inclusive of people whose primary language is not English, who wants to be more energy-efficient via public transport, and who recognizes differences of opinion over abortion, and then "another party" defining English as the only language, wanting to put the Ten Commandments out in public, and saying that abortion is never permissible. The shocker line? The first party isn't the Democratic party - it's the Republican party from about 30 years ago, right before Reagan was elected. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus View Post
You seem like an educated person in economics so I trust you would know what that means.
I am an educated person (at least based on the number of degrees I have) but I readily admit that I don't know much about economics beyond basic theory. The appeal of Ron Paul to me wasn't his economic plan, but his integrity, honesty, the fact that I don't think he ever talked about "beating Obama" when he made his points (he made the points on their own merit, based on what he felt would be best for the country - all the other GOP nominees were practically falling over themselves to talk about "beating Obama" in every other sentence), and the fact that he recognized that the Presidency (and government positions) do not exist for those officials to push their social agendas and views on everyone else. That last one is frighteningly absent in many politicians today.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2012-08-29 at 10:49.