View Single Post
Old 2012-09-11, 21:22   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonchar View Post
What do you think is better Dubbed or Japanese version or the English version to an anime? (opinion's are what This thread is all about, Don't think your right even though you think you are)

I personally watch both respectfully and enjoy both usually, If it does suck i will point that out!
You should browse the forums more... there are already thousands of posts on this subject. That said.... more of the forum prefers subbed over dubbed. I prefer subbed over dubbed simply because the english acting pool is small and not exactly "A" grade material. Also, english dubbing is done in isolation (the actors don't work with each other) whereas the original voice work is often done in the same room at the same time so they can respond to the emotions of the moment (key to good acting). The dialog writing can also make a huge difference. The actor could be wonderful but they're hamstrung with terrible lines to read.

The content of the show sometimes makes a difference (as others noted, Cowboy Bebop plays well in English), also more recently the dubbing (and the dialog written for english dubs) has improved. I can actually watch a few of the more recent series (e.g. K-On! or Ore Imouto) without cringing too often.

I speak a fair amount of Japanese but even if I didn't the emotional content of the original voicing comes through. Far too often the english dub comes off as someone just calling their lines in.

Oh, and by the way, the entire forum is largely about opinions so the vaguely insulting remark about opinions got you off on the wrong foot. Read the forum rules and welcome to the forums