View Single Post
Old 2011-02-23, 04:36   Link #698
Sol Falling

Edit: lol, okay this top part was basically self-advertising. I'll leave it here though. I finished the speculation I mentioned before and have posted in the thread appropriate for it. In terms of some ideas/assumptions about Kyubey which emerged from that thinking which will inform any further posts I make discussing him, here are two hooks for you guys to go check out my theory:

- What if Kyubey is the cause/origin of WalpurgisNacht due to all the darkness/Grief Seeds he is accumulating?
- What if Kyubey's interest in Madoka is because she is the only Puella Magi candidate who has the potential to contain all that negative energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
Assuming witch left alone will wipe out humanity, and young girls are the only option. Then make everything clear up front and ask for volunteers. If not enough volunteers, form an institution from governments and draft laws to allow drafting young girls as soldiers for war.

Under those assumptions, the problem I have is QB's methods, and not the system.

However, those are not my assumptions and I question both the system and QB's methods.
With regards to all the talk of Kyubey's "methods" here, I have a question:
What is exactly the cause of Sayaka's suffering right now? Here are two options for you:
- the fact that she has been made into a shiny rock/soulless zombie, OR
- the fact that she knows about it?

With regards to Kyubey’s methods, the first is something unchangeable (an inherent part of the ‘becoming a mahou shoujo’ process) whereas the second isn’t. In terms of how this knowledge actually affects Mahou Shoujo’s survivability, it is actually completely a benefit, so we cannot say that Kyubey not telling them has made the job more dangerous.

However, let us put this further question forward: if, from this point forward, Kyubey were to notify all prospective Puella Magis that the transformation process involves having their soul be extracted, how exactly would this impact the lives of a general Puella Magi?

- Well, first, rather than preventing anything, future girls who decide to become Puella Magi anyway might develop a mental block limiting their own happiness;
- and two, people who already are magical girls and are now forced to discover this have the potential to become as miserable as Sayaka (though that's not likely, but maybe like Kyouko they'll probably have at least a (mostly pointless) initial shock over it).

Is there in fact any benefit to changing Kyubey’s “method” of withholding this information?

Of course, there is the possibility that Kyubey is also withholding other information, the lack of knowledge of which perhaps does in fact impact Magical Girls’ potential happiness or survivability negatively. However, as the only payment promised is a ‘wish’ which should be considered carefully, and as Mahou Shoujos are indeed directly told that the fighting can be very dangerous, I do not in fact see any further warnings which would not already be covered in these categories already. The general and most important information for most magical girls is certainly already offered before a contract already. Unless, of course, the 'information' you're imagining are ideas to the effect that the system is in really working against them (i.e. that their wishes will deliberately be twisted poorly, that they could turn into witches, etc. etc.), but that would fundamentally change the premise here and presently lies in the realm of speculation.

I think no advantage or explanation yet has been given for why Kyubey not talking about the Soul Gem is a bad thing. Most people are instead confusing that with the fact that the Soul Gem is taken out at all, which many gut instincts/reactions seem to scream out to be terrifying or evil. However, at least in the show thus far, both Kyubey and Homura have explained this to be simply an inevitable/natural part of wish granting and becoming a mahou shoujo. From an objective perspective, you could basically say that moving the soul into a Soul Gem doesn't really affect anything (or is even a good thing). From a personal perspective, many people might in fact be better off or prefer it if they didn't know in the first place. So unless it is true that Soul Gems darkening will make you a witch and send you to an eternal hell in Kyubey's bowels (or other such negative effects), then in the end there will not have been very much wrong at all with Kyubey keeping this fact a secret.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-02-23 at 05:01.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote