View Single Post
Old 2013-08-22, 05:11   Link #480
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

1. End of the Golden Witch
I found this game both entertaining and dramatic. In particular, I like the logic battle in the study. All of the fight/argument scenes in this, really. Natsuhi's plight with Discolor playing was probably the most moving point of the series.

2. Dawn of the Golden Witch
Ditto. I liked chick Beato's evolution, and the drama of her assault upon the church. I also loved the logic error.

3. Requiem of the Golden Witch
I adored Will and Lion, and I liked the setting of the story and the use of the Theatregoing power. Bern's non-magical scenario was great, too.

4. Alliance of the Golden Witch
There are some things I dislike about this game (basically, much as I like Ange, I found that the future segments dragged at times), but the things I do like about it outweigh them. The action in this one was fabulous. Krauss's fight with the goat and that goat in general were classic and a contender for the best scenes in all of Umineko, in my opinion. I loved the way that piece-Battler was isolated for most of this game and was contacted by phone.

5. Turn of the Golden Witch
I like the way that Beatrice threw down the gauntlet to Battler in this one (well, okay, she really did that at the end of Legend). But still. I liked the way that Battler was confused. I loved the fact that suit Beato showed up as a piece. This was probably Beato at her best and most iconic.

6. Twilight of the Golden Witch
I loved this game. I really, really did. It's being rated as 6th rather than 4th or 5th because I have to acknowledge that it was half finished and never reached its full potential, and because there were some things I disliked specifically. But this thing was glorious in several ways. Especially the scenes with Lambda and Bern, the interaction between Erika and Ange and Evatrice and Ange, and the purple truth game. If only this thing had had more time spent on it and had a decent editor. The manga adaptation appears to be shaping up very nicely indeed.

7. Legend of the Golden Witch
Don't get me wrong, I adore this game too. But because it's the game where the scene is set, it's a bit redundant in places and drags a bit. I do like the way that Beatrice feels as if she has a presence on the board despite not turning up until the very end. I also really like the way that Legend contains information that will only stand out once you know some of the secrets of the board.

8. Banquet of the Golden Witch
I just wasn't very interested in Eva-Beatrice, and she was all over this. It might be worth reading it again and seeing if my mind has changed about it.

My opinions here probably have a lot to do with (a) that Dlanor, Erika, Lion and Will are my favourite characters, and (b) the fact I started out watching the anime. After the anime, if I remember right, I read Alliance to catch up on anything I might have forgotten from the end of the anime, and then I went on to read End and Dawn, and then I read Legend and Turn and (probably) Banquet while I was waiting for Requiem to come out.

Last edited by GoldenLand; 2013-08-22 at 05:28.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote