View Single Post
Old 2013-07-28, 10:58   Link #2084
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The root of our disagreement is that above all you value execution, whereas I place more value in innovation or risk-taking. I found that execution is usually a matter of time and budget.
And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd hope that I can also appreciate edgy works that go against trends, even if they might not entirely succeed. In the same way I think it's healthy for people to appreciate a well-crafted piece even if it comes from an established tradition.

Regarding your second claim, it couldn't be more wrong. Time and budget compliment artistry, but they can only make something more refined- the spark that I look for, the thing that draws me in to any film lies in the talent of the people creating the work. This is why I couldn't care less about cutting edge FX and CG rendering technologies in generic Hollywood blockbusters or AAA games. They are not creative endeavors, they are grunt work. Necessary grunt work, of course, but by itself it has no substance.

As for "art", I don't say that as a term of approval. There can be bad art and good art, and art and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive. I was just using it as a descriptor, but I guess the baggage of the term is too much so I should have clarified.

Last edited by Warm Mist; 2013-07-28 at 13:54.