View Single Post
Old 2008-10-23, 11:30   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The word tsundere has taken quite a twisting from the old days when it specifically referred to the archetype in date-sims where the girl starts off cold and angry to everyone (including you, the protagonist) and your quest is to melt her heart to win her. It was simplistic and linear.

Modern anime and literary tsundere can be quite complicated and the word seems to have expanded and evolved to fit the simul-tsundere (crunchy outside creamy inside). Taiga starts out tsuntsun on Ryuuji, but in terms of the anime that collapses within the first episode. However, she still doesn't understand her own feelings (as Kitamura claimed to in ep 2) so a lot of times she transmits her confusion with Ryuuji into kicks and punches. Good thing she's so small :P

I think the personality pentagrams you see in many fan guides are some minor attempt to correct for "one size fits none" labels.

I agree that simply labeling her loli-tsundere is a considerable over-simplification.... but then I find most anime labels terribly oversimplified and often misleading (e.g. "Oh, shoujo??? I don't read that!" ... and they miss out on some lovely stories that are totally enjoyable by young men).