View Single Post
Old 2012-09-18, 23:26   Link #1222
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say:

"A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel — a concept popularized in
television's Star Trek — may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.

A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking
advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving
faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by
Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre, however subsequent calculations found that
such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive
that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially brining the
idea back from the realm of science fiction into science."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-drive-may...09.html?_esi=1
That's pretty cool. If the unmanned versions across the solar system don't blow everything to bits in the most epic of fashion, the first unmanned between solar systems would be an interesting first steps towards a 'galaxy gun.' To protect the neighborhood and all... Although I'd prefer if we stuck to just ferrying people!

Anyways, on a vaguely related note in other places where I've seen this news posted.. why does everyone assume that any races we'd encounter would have to be more advanced and peaceful than us? Hell any commercial space exploration gives me images of East India Trading Company all over again on a galactic scale, or the Spanish conquest of SA. We say we're better than that now, but I really wonder at times (especially when it comes to resources). That.. or what? we take some Prime Directive approach? Maybe we do find some new race, but they're just as likely to be less advanced than us as they are to be more advanced, same with being friendly. Also unless I remember incorrectly any new colonies off of Earth cannot be claimed by any one nation according to the space treaty, but it says nothing about corporations (which could be a little worrying with the way corporations seem to be taking an interest in space flight). Anyway in short, seems something that could be rife for exploitation. Either way its a big space out there, chances are we wouldn't find any other intelligent races if they did exist even if we could travel between solar systems right now just limited to our own galaxy.