View Single Post
Old 2012-07-27, 15:28   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/...RhrWCM9dQ.cspx
Of course there will be news stories of people defending themselves (and winning) against 'bad' people. Such stories are great for ratings because they are so simplistically optimistic and make people feel safe. Again, this is anecdotal evidence that doesn't mean much since there is no real context.

To put it in perspective, do you really think the media would report on incidents in which an armed victim wasn't able to defend them self? At best, such an incident would get a blurb in which no mention of the victim having a firearm would be mentioned (I know this from anecdotal personal experience (not my own, but a friend's)). There are plenty of people that are armed, know how to use their firearms, yet they still fall victim to criminals (for various reasons).

Overemphasizing citizens fighting back (which you are doing) is great for publicity and constructing a narrative, but it does nothing for an actual discussion of what is going on in the country. (Note, I am not trying to discredit or in anyway slight such positive stories. Striving and defending against adversity is a powerful and respectable story, but only focusing on these positive stories does nothing for an actual discussion of the issues at hand.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Democratic senators offer gun control amendment for cybersecurity bill

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...ontrol-measure
This is a disgusting use of power...but then again this is CISPA, easily one of the worst breaches of civil liberties currently on Congresses roster, so adding more shit to the pile doesn't surprise me in the slightest. (Personally, I expect Schumer is purposely trying to add the amendment so that the Republican reject the new bill completely, because as it stands it is likely that CISPA will pass.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Control the flow of guns to the criminals (as in gangs and such) before you go after law bidding ones.
Agreed. This is the core solution that should be focused on. Outright gun control will not necessarily do anything to prevent many criminals from still getting firearms (this will prevent some crime, just not the significant offenses (e.g. organized crime, etc)), but will potentially harm more citizens. Sadly, there is no easy solution to this dilemma.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-07-27 at 15:54.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote