View Single Post
Old 2011-06-03, 22:23   Link #3156
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
Yep, he meant only in size. Here's a quote:
Wenger agrees that this needs to be addressed. He said: “We conceded very few goals from open play, most of them were from set-pieces in a way you don’t want to concede goals,” .

“It’s something that’s easy to correct. We need to improve the size of our squad – we need a bigger variety in the height of our players.

“We need to be more capable of fighting against some characteristics than we have been this season.”

Source: http://justarsenal.com/wenger-we-nee...et-pieces/8224

It seems that everyone except Wenger realises(or maybe he doesn't care) that he needs an experienced leader in defence and midfield(mostly defence). Wenger has an exceptional eye for young talent but the squad needs to be balanced, and I'm saying nothing new. My sentiments are but an echo of many, many critics' assertions over the last couple years.

Unfortunately, Wenger won't be fired, because he does so well for Arsenal financially, getting great young players cheap and when they get frustrated and leave, they get a great price for them. Plus the framework is pretty much built around Wenger himself, so no matter how much BS he does it'll be tolerated. I don't think I'm being too harsh either, they should've had a league title in the bag recently.
Agreed for the most part. The title drought should have definitely ended this year.

From those comments, at least Wengers sounds like he'll finally be aggressive in the transfer period.

Up until now, I think Wenger is just stubborn. When key players from "The Invincibles" team started to leave, the future still looked bright because of the young talent was being compiled or already waiting for their opportunity. Some have progressed nicely while others haven't. There are a few that emerged this year and could be future cornerstones. Regardless, Wenger should have looked to supplement the youth with veteran leadership like you said several years ago.

We've seen the odd signing but not enough have been made in my opinion. I'm praying that finally changes.