View Single Post
Old 2009-05-23, 21:27   Link #125
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Well, now that I've actually put in one hour to read this thread, might as well give my two cents, haha.

People here obviously have a lot of good ideas, as well as personal experiences with this type of addiction. However, I think a lot of it is too coercive, in the end, YOU want him to change, HE doesn't necessarily want to at the moment. Punishment rarely sticks, as soon as you go back to college and stop enforcing whatever policy you set up, he'll go back to CS like you never existed.

I think you should lead by example. Show him what it's like to have a personal life beyond the internet. You need to show him how to take pride in having real life relationships with other people, whether that is a girlfriend or just guys you chill with. Talk on the phone where your brother can hear you, let him know subtly how much more fulfilling it is to live a balanced, social lifestyle. Laugh, relax, and show that you have friends that care about you beyond how good you are at some game. If you have a girlfriend, bring her home. There are things in life beyond gaining respect for your stats and receiving "props" from anonymous people. Show him what he doesn't have, and he'll start to want it. I believe that deep inside, he does aspire to something more, you just need to give him some motivation. Set a good example, that is what a good older brother does.

My brother and I don't talk, we haven't for years now, but I know that he looks up to me. That is because I show him that being sociable is something to take pride in just as much as getting headshots with a scout. Being good at CS feels great, I can tell you from personal experience, and there is nothing wrong with feeling that way. Just make sure that isn't the only thing that gives him pleasure in life. Playing games and having a life are not mutually exclusive, you can have both.

I'm back from college and watching my bro kick ass at CS as I'm typing this. But I know that recently, he has gotten himself a social life at school and gets good grades, even though he procrastinates. When my parents complain to him about spending too much time on the computer, I take his side, even when he isn't there to hear me.

Show him what he is missing out on in life and this will only be a phase. But, trying to force a rebellious teen to change his life around is only going to drive you crazy.