View Single Post
Old 2012-02-24, 00:07   Link #13
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
What is the western anime industry?
They are merely distributers that live off the japanese producers, they don't produce anything of value to me themselves.
In this day and age we need less distributors who take their share of profit from the actual producers, not more.
They are just not needed anymore with modern distribution methods, an unnecessary extra step in the distribution chain, that just costs money.
So good riddance I say.
I generally agree with you, but I think that in order to eliminate the long chain of distribution, the Japanese companies would have to put in their own effort to reach out to international fans. They would have to finance overseas advertising and directly pay translators to sub their BDs and internationalize their packaging. I think that most of the time they wouldn't be bothered to do this since revenue from overseas is usually negligible in the face of total revenue. Not only that, they would have to significantly lower the prices of their BDs and DVDs, because their extravagant pricing won't fly outside of Japan.

One of the most important roles of foreign distributors of anime is to get your normal everyday man interested in anime, through normal everyday advertising and distribution. Many of us have gotten into anime through watching TV, and only later we started watching it through fansubs. I haven't watched TV in half a decade now, and I love fansubs, but I don't think my interest in anime would even exist nowadays if it wasn't for TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Well, the people that are fans of Naruto probably won't be looking at moe shows much...
Many of us got into less mainstream anime because we were watching simplistic children's anime such as Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon, and we wanted to see more. What makes Naruto any different? There will always be stubborn people who refuse to watch anything that isn't Naruto or Bleach, but I can guarantee you that a great deal of more experienced anime fans started through anime similar to them.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-02-24 at 00:34. Reason: no need to get into side-topics about someone's credibility
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote