View Single Post
Old 2008-01-18, 04:59   Link #503
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Pretty much, it also has the same issue as both pesudomatter and EM conversion in that it would give the device an basiclly unlimited ability to self repair which they clearly don't have.
The key IMO is the "core" that Fate refers to in Ep2. That's core is somewhere in the standby state. The program for the creation of the device is placed there. The rest can all be pseudomatter or in subspace or still in energy form for the matter. As long as the core is fine and mage has magic energy reserves, you just concentrate and the device restores (unless, in the subspace bag theory the bag runs out of usable matter). Even if you don't, the auto-repair will slowly diagnose which parts were bent and smooth out the forcefields (call up matter, convert...) using the battery power (slow movements use less energy). But damage the core even slightly, and the program is incomplete, and that's when it stops self recovery.

Quote:
On another note I also was thinking about you force field idea and think I might have stumbled upon a bit of a sticky wicket in it... Namely I think we can both agree a device when deployed seems to have a mass proportional to it's size yes? And force fields kind of umm... don't.
On the other hand, we seem to have a variety of constructs which are built in this way, such as the Wolkenritter.

Again. Matter = forcefield. Matter = mass. Thus forcefields can have mass.

While the nature of magical "particles" is unknown, it is likely that the particle(s) making up magic will have some mass. Otherwise, it'll be hard to explain how they can be trapped into various stationary positions. Remember that the only velocity a particle with no mass can have is lightspeed.