View Single Post
Old 2008-09-24, 01:37   Link #702
ThAixStYLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeName MinusOne View Post
In the original Macross series, Hikaru had that romantic kiss scene with Minmei right before she sang in battle.
If memory serves me correct (I'm a big Macross Fanboy), Hikaru watched Lynn Minmay kiss with Lynn Kaifun on his valkyrie's display, used to deliver culture shock in the middle of her singing routine during the epic battle (eps. 26, I think?), right before she sings "Shao Pai Lon." I could be wrong on the song.

Anyhow, the barrage of missiles hit Hikaru's VF-1S Super Valkyrie as he blocks them with his armored arms of the battroid, thus destroying his arms. He regains consciousness as he is entering the earth's atmosphere and after the firing of the Grand Cannon and destruction of U.N. Spacy's Alaska Base. Misa was a/the (only?) survivor and sends out a Mayday which Hikaru intercepts. He then proceeds to rescue her.

The parallels you are trying to draw are a bit off since--if we are to compare characters between Frontier and SDF:

-Alto is Hikaru
-Sheryl is Misa (since we're not using DYRL in the comparison)
-Brera is Kaifun
-Ranka is Minmay

We didn't seen Brera kiss Ranka (That would be bad. It was bad enough with Minmay and Kaifun being cousins...worse with siblings...but hey, whatever floats your boat.) before she started singing. Instead it was Alto and Sheryl kissing and then Alto appearing to be blown up.

If we were to use a different system for comparison that would equate to the events of SDF, then Alto and Sheryl would have to be Kaifun and Minmay. Now that really doesn't make sense.

However, I do see the parallels with previous Macross series and MacF and acknowledge that MacF likes to reuse past themes. It's just that you can't really compare it all on a 1:1 basis and have to allow for deviation. After all this is MacF and not SDF Macross. We clearly see this in the Pineapple Cake episode.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been a spectator for so long, I felt I had to participate before this comes to an end. I'm also a closet SxA shipper.

My 2 cents.