View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 13:51   Link #590
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Been thinking about the new gameplay elements a little and I'd like to hear your opinions.

From seeing the trailers and thinking about the usual developers' marketing strategies, I'm getting increasingly worried that the "awesome freestyle combat movement" they promote so hard might end up as just an added option to roll sideways. Nothing more.

Is my skepticism rather harsh or does anybody else think the same? I think I'd rather reserve my excitement over this mechanic before trying it out after release date.

Regarding the omni-blade; ignoring the awesome-factor for a moment, this thing could pretty significantly speed up the game's pacing if they screw up, so some players might actually complain about the game lenght in the end. Why? If they want you to use it often in combat, you need an opportunity for it. That can be achieved with either map design or greater health pool for Shepard. So you might be able to just storm onto enemies the whole game like some kind of a raging madman without any real consequence to it. I hope they don't make that mistake.

And now for something from a lore standpoint; how would you make an omni-tool work as a weapon? I always thought it was somewhat of a holographic display that reacts to your hands' placement, not something physical. I mean, how else would it always just appear on top of everyone's wrists other than by projection? I can't recall, are there any codex entries about this technology in the series? They also use the omni-tool as a portable flashlight, so how the hell does that bloody thing work?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I refer you to the technology of Tech Armor, which manages to be a physical defense made out of hard light. The current theory is that the Omni-Blade acts much the same.
I see what you did there.

Completely forgot about tech armor. Better not to waste time with trying to rationalize sci-fi stuff, I guess. Either that, or getting a headache.

Last edited by Larthak; 2011-06-14 at 15:17.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote