View Single Post
Old 2013-05-30, 00:40   Link #168
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But I'm thinking more along the lines of "General Western Audience". Questions like "Which anime show would help spread anime the most if it was airing on Adult Swim?", or in our country of Canada, "Which anime show would help spread anime the most if it was airing on YTV, or on a general entertainment channel?"
How about asking this: do these people trade random, offbeat youtube videos?

If so, my experience is you have some chance to hook them with offbeat anime comedies. "Big entertainment" (meaning: Halo/Game of Thrones/pro sport/action movie) is not the only thing that geeks are into.

So yes, many non-initiates can enjoy Attack on Titan, and I speak from experience on that one. But I also speak from experience that non-initiates often like stuff like School Rumble.

Quote:
Honestly, while reading that, I'm struck by how much it supports my position on this.

RadiantDreamer mentioned how he introduced his wife to the King of Harem RomComs - Love Hina! By his own account, it backfired. Badly.
Maybe it wasn't clear from my post, by Love Hina is not what I'd consider a male-oriented anime rom-com that is likely to appeal to women. Toradora, on the other hand, is. The reaction of Radiant's wife to Love Hina and Toradora is about what I would have expected.

Toradora would hardly be the first male-oriented show to get marketted to women in the west either. Funimation marketed Moon Phase to women, despite the original manga have a fairly noticeable lolicon subtext that was reduced, not eliminated in the anime. Did it work? Hard to say, but I recently discovered that one my my regular models on the local cosplay scene cosplayed Hazuki when she was 13, which I consider kind of ironic.

One other dimension that I think is worth noting here: I don't think Radiant's wife is a geek.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote