View Single Post
Old 2006-10-24, 16:36   Link #46
imac2much

I'm assuming no spoiler tags are necessary in this thread, right? Anyways...

My guess about Satoshi (with the information from the provided translations) is that perhaps Irie and co. were forced to use him as a live dissection subject. In the current translated pieces, it seems that Satoko went L5 and Takano was already making preparations to use her as a live dissection subject, but obviously this didn't come to pass. Well, why not? I'm guessing Irie managed to pull some strings or some stunts to prevent it... and it probably pissed off Takano's organization.

So the next year when Satoshi goes L5, I guess this was his chance to redeem himself, so to speak... so he became the next live dissection subject. This might be why in Minagoroshi, Rika seems to know about some kind of sad connection between Irie and Satoko. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

As for Takano, I'm guessing (like previous posters) that she has three goals: 1) make her grandfather's name known and well respected, 2) leave behind an event or catastrophe that will be on people's minds for years to come, and 3) punish those that mocked her grandfather. I'm guessing the Hinamizawa people treated him poorly or something, so she is just looking for an excuse to destroy them all. In essence, she's using the SDF to destroy the town under the facade of 'wiping the evidence' or something, because of the queen bee theory. That's why in Watanagashi/Meakashi, she isn't able to convince the SDF to go through with the gas disaster coverup; she doesn't have Rika's body to prove her recent death. By the time they learn about Rika's death, more than 13 days or whatever probably already pass, so they know that the Queen Bee theory isn't real (or at least as serious as Takano stated). It's probably still true to some extent, since we know from The Devil's Script TIP that many former Hinamizawa residents started going crazy in the years following the gas disaster.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm glad we got this conversation back on track and on topic.