View Single Post
Old 2006-05-10, 14:55   Link #89
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou
As Mion said in episode 5, Shion does not live in Hinamizawa, but in Okinomiya. That's why 'technically' Rena and the others never met Shion (though we can safely assume that Shion disguised herself as Mion a couple of times, and viceversa).

Your point is well taken.

Consider this scenario in real life:
Haven't you ever talked about your relatives to a friend (who you've known for more than one year), and yet he/she has never met them and your relatives live in another town?

The living distance between Mino and Shion, in Hinamizawa and Okinomiya respectively, was not what mattered to me as much as what do friends (i.e. Rena and Mion) disclose to each. If it is then, then chime in.

My original thesis was that: 1- people living in small town setting tend to know each other well, and news travels fast, 2-friends will talk about their families. I know this a generalization and there are exceptions, but I believe the point is mostly valid. In Rena case's she has known Mion for at least a year (I assume). In that time Mion has not mentioned Shion to Rena. Obviously it can a matter of innocent omission on Mion's part. However it struck me more as Mion being secretive. I didn't see this being mentioned in the forum, so I wanted to put it up for disscussion. Hopefully as the story progresses we will how important this is.

Another matter I wanted to put up for discussion to help flesh out the Dam construction + Sonozaki family+Mion/Shion+Oyashiro-sama connection is:

Given how powerful and influential the Sonozakis (i.e. Mion's uncles, the businessmen, and the politicians) are, it seemed odd that Keiichi and the gang (i..e Rena, Rika, and Houjou) haven’t shown any awareness of their reputation. An obvious explanation is that kids their age are sheltered from or are not interested in the politics and business dealings of the area. Additionally the townspeople could be helping the Sonozakis and/or keeping quiet to avoid trouble. Therefore Keiichi and the gang don't know what's going on. Another possiblity-> how much the gang knows will be revealed in later epsiode.

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-10 at 15:59.