View Single Post
Old 2004-11-10, 16:05   Link #57
Derelict
Et tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainz
I feel we are drifting more and more away from the specific war we were talking about earlier, which is the one in SEED. So let me summarize what I think has been going on here.

I suggested that the goal of THIS war is pointless, because there are a large portion of soldiers (and civilians) on both sides that do not truly agree to such aim. Then we get the dilemma of why there is a war in the first place, and thus the original goal of the war becoming rather pointless. As far as I know, everybody seems to accept this?

Derelict then made the claim that on the other hand, the act of war in general is not pointless, because it teaches the survivors to cherish peace more than before. You might as well expand on it and state that NOTHING in this life is ever pointless, because you always learn from things that don't kill you. Since this is a general case, the debate to this claim will go on and on forever.... and I do not wish to bore the other readers on this forum anymore.

So in the end, as I said before, it appears we're talking about 2 different things altogether.
This discussion began with me explaining how the war that was being fought couldn't seem pointless if Kira and Athrun died, you asked for me to expand my concepts about it. Now we're talking about something completely different.

Let me tell you, the GOAL of the war in SEED wasn't established at first. It begun with the military actions of the EA, largely driven by the Blue Cosmos, then it escalated with the occurence of 'The Valentine of Blood' forcing normally passive people into the position where they witnessed a massacre and had no other choice but to stand up and defend that which is precious to them. Kira and Athrun didn't blindly fight each other, simply because they were on opposing sides, they were searching for a way to end the war without another atrocity occuring, these are the reasons why the war fought in the first half of SEED wasn't pointless.

Wars in general? I certainly believe that they aren't pointless and the bloodshed that occurs can't do much but teach the people how precious peace is, I have not watched an actual war like I did the first half of SEED, why bother to expand the argument and then insist that we're talking about completely different things?

-Edit

I'll also like to ask about your comment about soldiers and civilians, if you believe that they disagreed with each other about the goal of the war, why do you think peace was reached so quickly? Are you asserting that those soldiers/civilians did NOT want peace? This is silly. Just look at the thoughts of the actual citizens we got to see(from Heliopolis) they didn't wish for war. The people in PLANT? They saw a colony of theirs massacred, they were only looking to protect those precious to them, but they wanted peace more than anything, their hand was forced. The people of Earth? Largely the same as Heliopolis, they were being intimidated by the EA and the Blue Cosmos into fighting their dirty war for them. Where are they disagreeing? Did they decide the -goal- of this war?

Last edited by Derelict; 2004-11-10 at 16:27.
Derelict is offline   Reply With Quote