Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-24, 03:29   Link #26681
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Only out of fear. Fear of shame (honor-driven cultures) and fear of posthumous punishment (religion).

What sort of person are you when you're alone in the dark? I would have only returned such an item if there was a reward--otherwise I would have fenced it without hesitation.

The fear of not being able to afford to pay rent or buy groceries is a bit stronger than the fear of Bronze Age fairy tales about a bearded man in the sky.
I agree with almost everything you said, but remember, there ARE people out there who would return a diamond ring to his owner and would even do it quietly if they could as to not attract attention to themselves. Those people of course are very rare and have been brought up with a special code of conduct, such as a Shaolin monk for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wonder how many people have never gone hungry and yet wouldn't have returned it?

All it means, as far as I can see, is that crime is (relatively) low at best, and massively underreported at worst. Remember that rape/murder scandal a few weeks back in India, precisely? Where were that honor and piety then?

Of course, I never said that just because a nation is influenced by strong codes of morality does not mean no one would ever commit a crime. I even bet you can find some Shaolin Monks who are total creeps or child molesters; just an unfounded example but one none the less.