View Single Post
Old 2010-10-10, 05:11   Link #4315
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Err.. just for the record, war does not help solve the population problem.. I'm not sure why anyone would have that idea..
Wait, nobody said war helps solve the population problem. It only slows the problem, or rather, delays it, as risingstar3110 elaborated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
@Larthak:
I agree that the point you mentioned was brought up quite a lots of time. But while wars killed lots of people, they simply just halt the rate of population growth, not stop them.
For example, Korean war, one of the deadliest one, halted the population of South Korean people for 7 years (If i remember correctly), but it rose by more than double to peak in 40 years time where it (almost) stopped. So even if we have another world war on every peaceful developing country, it will only halt the process for few years, before we still reach peak anyway (the current population of Europe without WW2 will not change much for example).
I wasn't just talking about the world wars or so, first wars were waged millenia ago. Let's not forget that. All those wars must have influenced our population in some way. Recovering from such conflicts must have been a lot more difficult than it would be in the last few centuries. Or am I wrong here?