View Single Post
Old 2009-10-17, 04:25   Link #1342
kaitwospirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I don't understand why you are concluding that the letters in the bottles must have been written before the events of October 4-5. There is nothing that confirms that the person who wrote the letters died during the incident. The fisherman found the first bottle many years after the incident.
It's discussed while Ange is talking to the enthusiast to some extent. The letters are extremely long and not rushed, and anyone living through the events as described in the letters would simply not have time to sit down and write something so long.

I assume that they were not written afterward because of the problem of Eva's survival. The goal of the letters was to offer a witch-oriented explanation of the events of October 4th and 5th. If someone wanted these letters taken as a description of the actual events of October 4-5 rather than a mere curiosity, and they knew that someone had survived those two days when they wrote the letters, then they would have incorporated that person's survival into them. Eva's very public survival suggests their author had no way to predict anyone might live. The fact that the money letters were sent out to the next-of-kin on the 3rd supports this: no one was planned to survive and this was believed ahead of time.

It could very well take many years for a letter placed in a bottle to wash up on land again anywhere. In fact, the odds are very good that it will never wash up again at all. This is probably why there were many of them.

You could argue, I guess, that the letters were written on the 6th while Eva was hiding or something. That's why I initially said that the letters were no help in figuring things out either way: they don't provide a useful clue to their author's survival. They could have been written at either point. I tend to believe that they were written before the incident, though, like the money letters, simply because the money letters indicate a great deal of planning and time and the belief that no one would survive, just like the letters in bottles, and we know that the money letters were written before the 4th.

Also, and I feel like I'm kind of being mean, but I cannot find anything about the letters corresponding to episodes one and two anywhere in the game script. Are you sure? Can you give me somewhere to look?

Last edited by kaitwospirit; 2009-10-17 at 04:35. Reason: question