View Single Post
Old 2009-06-21, 00:38   Link #256
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
EXACTLY!!! "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

What matters most in entertainment isn't whether or not "it's Good (TM)", it's whether or not you enjoy it! What people think of as "greatness" is only a way of encapsulating what people have agreed, over time, remain as enjoyable, worthwhile shows. So, when watching anime, you shouldn't focus on "greatness", but simply on whether or not you enjoy it. If that enjoyability holds up for many people over future generations, then it people will call it "a classic". It's only a way of qualifying and quantifying the factors that seem to contribute to mass enjoyment of a work. But even if you enjoy a show that isn't eventually considered "Great" by the majority, it doesn't change a thing about the enjoyment you feel in that moment. Enjoying a show is, really, all that matters, and understanding what it is that caused you to enjoy (or not enjoy) that thing helps us find other things we'll like.

(And yes, see also above. )
I posted the same question in the other thread we made, so I'll wait on a full response for a little bit, but I will say one thing here before I go.

Of course enjoyment is the primary objective of entertainment (Well unless you are making the product, in which case your objective is to screw everything in the name of $$). While I do enjoy offering criticism for the various shows I watch, it is really something I could care less about when I just want to sit down one night and enjoy a couple of animes.