View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 16:30   Link #234
AKAAkira
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrRosh View Post
...For the main character, she would be kinda a mixture of Solid Snake and Kiritsugu Emiya. Getting the aloofness and 'nasty' attitude that is simple, but how would I structure her speech? If you could, give me a few examples or something...
On how to structure speech - I'm going with just aloof and "nasty" here at the moment, I don't have much of a grasp on Snake or Kritsugu's character, and don't know Vicious at all - first thing to keep in mind is is just what novalysis said: harsh, blunt, and cynical. Example quotes from elsewhere could include "I don't know, and I don't care" or "90% of everything is crud, including the other 10%".

Sarcasm may or may not work, depending on how harsh it is and how well you think it carries. I personally don't think it works well on written mediums, though I'm not much a user of sarcasm in the first place.

If you want it to sound extra-harsh, go in with a dialogue that's easily misinterpreted and then throw the snark after the response. Example copy-pasta'd from gabriel blessing's In Flight:

*character performs the rabbit-out-of-a-magician's-hat trick*

"Oh! Me next! Do you know how to cut someone in half like that guy on T.V did?"

"I know how to do that one too."

"Really? I always wondered how it was they put them back together again afterwards, Mr. Wizard. Maybe you could make me your assistant and show me just what other tricks those fingers of yours can do?"

"I don't think you'd want to be my assistant for that trick; I only said I know how to cut them in half. Putting them back together afterwards would defeat the whole purpose of killing them in the first place."

Did that help?

@novalysis - Back to the fix-fic thing, if you're still interested, I remembered there was something like that: Five Ways Asuna Could Have Successfully Made A Jailbreak by Satori. Summary tells more:

Asuna was a lead clearer in SAO, known as 'the Flash' for her speed and grace. She rose to a leadership position in the premiere guild of that Game, risking her life to protect others. She was the antithesis of the damsel of distress. That she more or less became one in the first ALO arc was just plain fury-inducing.

Here are five antidotes to the 'lone hero syndrome' that the arc seems to have fallen prey to.
AKAAkira is offline   Reply With Quote