View Single Post
Old 2010-12-13, 13:18   Link #587
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
That was interesting (and engaging). One thing I should point out: cutting throats is neither quick nor quiet; if you've got complete surprise on your side, it's much better to drive the blade into the back of the neck, severing the vertebrae at the base of the skull (specifically pointed out in 'Without Remorse').

Which reminds me, I really should try and get back into one of several things sitting on the shelf. In the interim, have this useful aid for character development.
Well, like I said, it's a snippet - drafts and corrections are something I anticipate.

(In my current job, one of my previous assignments was to prepare memos, promo briefings, training manuals and anything you could name that was related to writing output for the office. My boss used to say that I used to give him 6 drafts at first, before managing to bring it down to 2 now. )

Regards the throat cutting, I was thinking more of what I've seen per USMC training on eliminating sentries: Marine covers sentry's mouth, pulls head back, stabs KA-BAR into throat and rips out forward. On the other hand, given the volume of fire that's ongoing, it might actually be possible to pull off suppressed .45 shots, given that .45 ACP is one of the few calibers that retains stopping power while suppressed, though then there's the question of whether the helmet'll stop .45...

Interesting link on charecter development. While I'm not usually the person who writes a charecter map - being, like Terry Prachett, the conduit for the story - I do ask similar questions when forming my charecters, particularly as they evolve through time; Nagant, mentioned above, started as a plain, quiet individual and then slowly morphed into an explosion-happy Demoman who also pursues forlornly his best friend, who sadly does not return his affections, as she prefers girls...

And then Franz Jaeger started out as a hotblooded grunt before tempering the hot blood with some focus, tactics and ruthlessness as he grew older in-universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
Great link on the character development, Firefly. It's easy to forget - especially when writing the heavy action, war type stories associated with VC - that people don't connect with technical details, they connect to characters. Technical details are great and all, but they won't save a story. Strong characters will.

I've personally never been one to draw out character maps (or care what my characters have in their refrigerators), but details like family, what your characters were doing before the story, who their friends are, what they do for work/fun, etc. are essential to know. If a character map will help you with that (or even knowing what's in their refrigerators), you should write one out.

As for slitting throats, yeah, it's messy and not nearly as quick as one would hope. The base of the skull is a better option if available (though still not necessarily quick - just quieter), but I don't know if it is possible with Imperials. Their helmets cover a good deal of the back of the head - does it extend down to the base of the skull? If so, the throat would be your best bet. It isn't instantaneous, but it's still one of your better options.
To an extent, having on a piece of paper some of the traits of your charecters lets you remain true to them and not flanderise them; a friend of mine, one Solid Shark, once wrote a Gundam SEED fic that was quite well-received, but then only realised after he'd long finished it, that he'd unconsciously flanderised Kira's preference for disabling attacks into a Thou Shalt Not Kill At All policy...

As for the throats... noted. Stab through the neck into the vertebra... though it's Cutting Me Own Throat to admit that.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote