View Single Post
Old 2012-12-21, 23:32   Link #899
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
The German gun laws are definitely among the strictest on the planet, even though owning a gun is not illegal. In order to simply own a gun, you need a certain license called 'Waffenbesitzkarte'. To be able to access one, you need to fulfill different criteria like for example physical and mental capability. You also need to give a written explanation as to why you would like to apply for a license (hunting, sports, collecting etc.). Depending on your reason, there are additional restrictions.

In order to be legally allowed to carry a weapon outside of your house, you need a completely different license, though ('Waffenschein'). Such a license is only ever permitted in exceptional cases. I googled it. You need to proof that owning a gun would considerably lessen the danger of a position you are in, and that this certain position renders you more endangered than the general public. Not all weapons are allowed to be carried with that license, though, and there are places you will never be allowed to take a gun to like for example at public events.

As to why this is the situation with Germany, I have no idea. What I can say, is that even though getting a license that allows you to have a gun at home is not all that hard, few people actually feel the need to make use of that.