View Single Post
Old 2008-05-16, 14:18   Link #472
Panopticon

Takumy, your Kairin was the first one I'd seen before, so I guess I have a pretty fresh perspective as far as your style and ability are concerned. My first impression was the style, while informed by Anime and Manga, wasn't slavishly devoted to those styles. I felt I was looking at the work of an original artist, skilled enough to impart some of their personality into the piece. I came to this thread to see the full piece of work and was well rewarded. I really have enjoyed it overall, and over that, the drawing is permanently associated with my first encounter with this site in general. This Kairin will always pop up in my mind when I think of AnimeSuki from now on.

The only real criticism that I have is that I think the way you chose to light your character added an unintended harshness.

And to anyone that thinks "disgusting" can be used critically except in the most extreme cases, they've got a lot to learn about what is acceptable in criticism. That term and ones like it are "fightin' words," make no mistake there. If you use that kind of sentiment in a criticism don't be surprised when the discussion takes a heated turn. Words like disgusting should be reserved to describe pools of vomit or the like. I don't think anyone in their right mind could ever make a sane argument that your version of Kairin falls into this category, Takumy. The internet is full of tiny minded people who for whatever reason love to throw venom and tear things down. I can't stand for it and I've seen a disturbing trend where these people find protection under the term criticism. In criticism all the rules of polite society still apply, perhaps even more so. If you cannot or are unable to take the time and energy to render your criticism in a constructive way, then you are incapable of criticism. Sorry if I'm late to the party with this position.

This seems to be a wonderful community, so perhaps my little rant is over the top for this site. The comment just seemed to create a distressing atmosphere and I don't think that is something Takumy deserves.
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote