View Single Post
Old 2011-03-07, 10:04   Link #111
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantelope View Post
As for the building bullet in episode 21, I'm assuming that the general basis of the act was that as he pushes up on the building, the building exerts a normal force in an equal but opposite direction back down on his arm. Accelerator redirects that normal force back upwards in the same direction as his arm, and in turn the building now exerts a new normal force downwards the same magnitude as the combined new upwards force from the previously directed vector. In this fashion, the amount of upwards force doubles until it's large enough to rip the building of its foundation and then all of the force is redirected in the desired direction of launch.

Clever application of his powers, which I like, and it's somewhat believable if you accept what I call the "magic" of fiction (unfortunately Kihara is far far beyond acceptable levels for me). What would probably happen in reality is that, because the force being exerted upwards is only being redirected from his arm, is that the amount of pressure on that small area would simply cause his arm to begin slicing through the building like butter, instead of lifting the entire building from the ground.

Imagine trying to pick up a cake with just a single finger, without the assistance of a plate underneath it. Your finger would simply tear the cake apart, because it isn't able to push back on your finger as hard as your finger is pushing upwards. In the same fashion, the amount of force the support beams in a building can exert downwards is also limited, and I'm confident that a single steel beam cannot exert a downward force equal to the entire weight of the entire building.

We can easily escape this thought process by accepting the "magic" of fiction. I choose to pretend that all of the support beams in Academy City are made of carbon nano-tubes. A very expensive city, but eh, it helps me sleep at night.
Just guessing, are you taking in account every single vector in your analysis? Because I'm sure you know Accelerator controls every single vector on his doings.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote