View Single Post
Old 2007-10-08, 13:40   Link #61
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
You too, Nich?

To make it short and sweet, you remember wrong. The show you're referring to is Clannad, not Shana. I can't believe that even YOU join this nonsense chorus. You honestly think I can't tell a SD show from a HD show, old buddy? Wow, thanks, very flattering.
Lul no of course not. I said it's obvious there is a difference in shows that are mastered in HD to those that are not, and that only GUTB himself would say otherwise. Are you GUTB? Hidden in disguise all along :3! I simply came here to say that personally I think SD broadcasts should never be used in high resolution encodes. Not even if the show was originally mastered in HD!

Not to mention at the same time I did say this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi
If there were never going to be HD broadcasts of a show I could see how doing a high resolution encode might be warranted.
Chillax mein hoser friend. Truly I have no idea whats going on with this Shana, but I don't want to see more little encoders now throwing up high res encodes just because Mentar said "if the encoder is smrt enough you can do anything" n_n. They know not their limits, do not confuse them prease ;-;.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
See Fluffy's screenshots, which prove that there IS quality loss by down/upscaling, disproving your theory. The softening and mild aliasing of the picture is exactly what makes a real difference when the softened-aliased part is re-upsized for fullscreen playback.
Come now...you know as well as I do that unless you used a custom quantization in Xvid it is by default less sharp then x264. Not to mention you could have used a simpler resizer like BilinearResize for the SD encode, again we have no idea. Those pictures do not say much in and of themselves. Can a low res encode match a higher resolution one for sharpness? Of course not, duh. Should you be using a high resolution on any standard def stuff that is "mastered in HD" just because it will be slightly sharper? Why not just use the HD broadcasts for high res encodes? "No you fool there are no HD broadcasts, now shutup!". Ok ;-;.

In the end I will agree with your choice only because of the fact that there will apparently be no HD broadcasts. I was under the impression there would eventually be (in the not so distant future) HD broadcasts, which made releasing an SD broadcast at high res absurd. Evul broadcasters, must be movax's fault.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote