View Single Post
Old 2004-05-21, 19:38   Link #16
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDin01
Don't know where you heard that because all my R2 DVD's are far superior to the R1 counter parts. The bitrate 95% of the time is maxed out to the even sometimes going over 10 giving the audio and video side to really shine. You also have to take into consideration the packaging and extras that comes with it. 2 or 3 boxes, figurines, and an assortment of pack in extras that will never be found in R1 releases. The average anime DVD has 2 episodes per volume priced around $50. Lately there's been more collections with 5 or 6 episodes costing $100 Midori no Hibi and Baku-Tenshi.
I would hope they never go over 10 since that would break the DVD spec. They do tend to be better than the R1s though. You're absolutely right about that. For example (all these are based on the first episodes of the first DVDs of the set):

Chobits:

R2 Average bitrate: 7.3 Mbps (+ 384 kbps for audio)
R1 Average bitrate: 5.8 Mbps (+ 384 kbps for audio)

What's interesting about this is that while the R2 has only 3 episodes to the R1's 4 episodes, the R1 actually has a great deal more space and could have had an even higher bitrate than the R2 because it's on a dual-layered DVD while the R2
is only on a single layer DVD. The R1 barely has over 5 gigs of data.

And of course, while the space used for the audio is the same, it should be noted that the R1 has two tracks while the R2 only has 1. Once again, there was ample room and bitrate space to have higher quality tracks in the R1.

Azumanga Daioh:

R2 Average bitrate: 7.2 Mbps (+ 448 kbps for audio)
R1 Average bitrate: 5.2 Mbps (+ 672 kbps for audio)

Obviously the R1 needs a little extra space here for the extra audio track, but it's still significantly lower than the R2. I do have to give ADV credit for not encrypting the DVD though. You can actually make a fair use copy of the DVD without having to violate the DMCA.

Now, of course, you need to take these numbers with a grain of salt. Just because something has a higher bitrate doesn't automatically mean it looks better. And the quality of the masters is probably much more important than the bitrate used. Still, I don't understand why all the R1 companies seem to hover between 5-6 Mbps while the R2s are mostly between 7-8 Mbps. The extra space needed for the audio nor the subtitles don't fill the gap.

And one more example. UFO Princess Valkyre has an average 7750 kbps + 1536 kbps for the audio (PCM) means it's averaging around 9286 kbps. Of course, with only 2 episodes on a DVD even a single layered DVD has plenty of room.
hentai_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote